Monday 10 August 2009

Not-So-Wacky Packages

Growing up in the 70s/80s, I was a HUGE fan of Wacky Packages; so much so that I even drew a few of my own and mailed them to Topps. Still waiting on that one. My appreciation was only enhanced years later when I learned that Art Speigelman (of Maus fame) concieved of the series for Topps and did the art for many of the original product spoofs. So, i was rummaging around the internet this weekend for an uncut sheet of the original WP series stickers, and I found this terribly unfortunate puzzle (these were printed on the back of the sticker cards, and you'd have to collect them to complete the image):




I vaguely remember this - and it seemed utterly normal 20 years ago to mock other cultures. That "ah-so" gets me; do the Japanese even say anything resembling this?

No comments: